Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beautiful Song

I personally love Newfoundland music... from ones composed by artists & musicians (such as Great Big Sea or Buddy Wasisname and The Other Fellers) to the traditional Newfie songs! I love the traditional ones because they have been passed down from generation to generation and preserved, and also they are really fun!

Anyway the song I am posting is not a traditional Newfoundland song but it embodies the spirit of a true Newfoundlander. It is Fisherman's Lament by Great Big Sea and is sung by Sean Mccan (one of 2 main singers/composers in the band). Years ago, Sean's father wrote a passionate poem about the fate of Newfoundland fishermen, and Sean later added a stirring melody. I have no history of fisherman in my family, but this song still get's to me because of the overwhelming, powerful emotion. It embodies the real pride and passion that all true Newfoundlanders have and is absolutely haunting. I strongly suggest you take a listen. You won't regret it.



What do you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. That's a very nice song. Nice images too. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete